Workshop on River Ice
CRIPE organizes a Workshop on the Hydraulics of Ice Covered Rivers every two years to promote research related to river ice. Participants include students, researchers, and practitioners from across North America and overseas.
The 22nd Workshop on River Ice will be hosted in scenic Canmore, Alberta, from July 9 to 12, 2023. The local organizing committee is looking forward to the upcoming workshop and preparations are well underway.
This will be an in-person event at the beautiful Coast Canmore Hotel and Conference Centre. Program themes include:
- Freeze-up and breakup processes
- Numerical and Physical Modelling
- Ice Processes and the Environment
- Field Monitoring and Case Studies
- Ice and River Regulation
- Ice Jams and Breakup Forecasting
- Ice and Infrastructure
- Fish and Ice
- Ice and Climate Change
CRIPE is pleased to host a short course after the workshop. This course will be a hands-on course covering river ice hydraulic modelling. The course will be held on Thursday, July 13 at the Coast Canmore Hotel. Consider extending your stay to include the short course!
Short Course on River Ice Modelling
CRIPE is pleased to host a 1-day short course on river ice modelling on July 13, 2023 following the main workshop. This course is aimed at practitioners and researchers who are new to river ice modelling, or anyone who would like a refresher on ice modelling in a hands-on environment. Topics covered will include:
- Overview of river ice models available
- Overview of river ice model parameters and how to choose parameters for modelling
- Hands-on exercises in steady-state river ice and ice jam modelling in HEC-RAS
- Tips and tricks for working with the limitations of the HEC-RAS platform
- Overview of concepts in ice process modelling (i.e. ice formation and thermal processes), including parameters and data requirements
- Hands-on exercises in ice processing modelling using the River1D ice process model
All exercises will use real world examples with real-world case studies and real data. The course will be delivered using a Virtual Lab platform, so participants will only need to bring a laptop with a modern browser and internet capabilities. The short course will be taught by members of the CRIPE community with practical modelling experience. The price includes the course materials, as well as breakfast, lunch, and coffee breaks.
Workshop registration is now open. Early bird rates available until March 30.
|Registration Type||Until March 30||After March 30|
Hotel Room Reservations
Reserve your room early! Summer season accommodations in Canmore are in high demand, and the conference room block for July 9th to 13th is limited.
To reserve a room, please click the link below or call the Coast Hotel reservations team at 1-800-663-1144 and reference either the event name "The 22nd CRIPE Workshop on the Hydraulics of Ice Covered Rivers" or group code "CCM-GFC5809". The conference room rate will be available until June 9, subject to room block availability. A valid credit card is required at the time of reservation to secure the room.
Reservations cancelled more than 48 hours before arrival will not be charged.
Get the Latest Updates
If you are not already on our mailing list or if you need to update your e-mail address, please subscribe using the link below.
Instructions for Authors
Full papers must be submitted through Oxford Abstracts by May 15. Please download and use the current MS Word document template to prepare your paper.
Guidelines for poster submissions:
- Maximum width 54 inches
- Maximum height 48 inches
- A short (5 page max) paper is an optional way to represent your poster in the conference proceedings (use the template)
- Poster presenters will give a 1 minute introduction to their poster on Tuesday morning, poster session will be on Wednesday